Search

Powered by Blogger.

Networked Blogs

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Broke Food - Microwave Scrambled Eggs with Veggies or Heuvos Rancheros


A couple of mornings ago, I was starving, and there wasn't a whole lot in the fridge that was ready to eat.  I hadn't been to the grocery store in a while, and it looked like it was going to be a couple of days before I could make a trip.  

I spotted a carton of eggs and some salsa and knew what I wanted.  I just didn't want to have to take the time to get out a bunch of pots and pans and get them dirty.  

Microwave to the rescue!  I quickly gathered my supplies, and within 5 minutes had a hearty breakfast that was flavorful, spicy, and easy. Normally, any self-respecting southern girl would gasp at not cooking your eggs in butter and a cast iron skillet.  However, I just needed to get to work and fast, without having to listen to a growling belly.  

On a side note, I know that most huevos rancheros are made with fried eggs sunny side up; however, since we're doing this quickly, we had all the components, just a slightly different technique.  

I don't care for tortillas in the morning (yes, I'm weird), so I usually pop a couple of slices of toast in the toaster while I'm microwaving the eggs.  And yes, that's a foam plate.  Did I mention I was in a hurry and didn't want to get dishes dirty?  Ha!   This is also a great way to use up those little tiny packets or containers of salsa you receive with fast food and stick in your fridge!

Microwave Scrambled Eggs with Veggies/Huevos Rancheros 
Pam or other oil
2 eggs
2 tablespoons of milk 
Salt and Pepper 

Spray the inside of a large coffee mug with Pam or lightly grease it with oil.  Crack the 2 eggs into the mug and add the milk, salt, and pepper.  Using a fork, scramble the eggs well.  Microwave on high for approximately 45 seconds.  Remove, stir eggs well, and return to microwave and cook for another 1 minute of time.  Remove the mug from the microwave and immediately dump eggs onto a plate.  Use a fork to break up and distribute scrambled eggs. 

For omelet style scrambled eggs, top with chopped onion, peppers, bits of bacon or ham, cheese, and other goodies.  Use what you have in the fridge.  Leftover stir fried veggies are great heated up and spooned over these eggs.

For huevos rancheros style, top the eggs with shredded cheese and spicy salsa.  Roll into flour tortilla or serve alongside buttered toast.  You could even add refried beans or chili, if you can stomach it first thing in the morning.  Otherwise, it also makes a great evening meal. 

There you have it!  Easy, quick, inexpensive, and satisfying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment