Search

Powered by Blogger.

Networked Blogs

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Easy Kitchen Cleanup while Cooking


Some friends and I were having a discussion recently about whether or not we like to cook.  A couple said they wouldn't mind cooking if it didn't make such a mess.  I piped up because one thing that I learned, when I was learning to cook, was how to clean as you go. 

Now, let's get one thing straight.  I... AM... A.. SLOB.  No ifs, ands, or buts.  I would rather do anything that clean, my house is a disaster, and a scatter bomb going off would be an improvement.  As someone once said, "A lazy person will find the fastest way to do something."  That would be me.  

However, one thing I'm weird about is my kitchen.  While there might be clutter around, the kitchen itself will be clean.  I cannot start cooking unless the kitchen is clean first.  Weird, huh? 
I told them my tips for cleaning as I go while I cook, and a friend suggested a blog post.  So here we go! 

Steps to Cleaning while Cooking: 
  • Put away any clean dishes in the dishwasher.
  • Empty the sink and counter spaces and put all dirty dishes in the dishwasher.
  • Plug the sink and squirt in a little dish soap.  Run the sink about half full of soapy water. 
  • As you cook and use bowls, utensils, etc., put them in either the sink or the dishwasher.
  • Hang a Walmart sack or trash sack over either a cabinet drawer or cabinet door to secure it.  Hang it near where you are cooking. Dump empty cans, packaging, or scraps in as you cook so that you are not moving back and forth between the trash can. 
  • Open any cans needed for a recipe.  Drain, if needed.
  • Save an empty can into which you can pour drippings from cooked meat, such as hamburger meat. Toss the can when contents are cool. 
  • Chop any veggies that need to be chopped.
  • Cut up and/or rinse any meat needed in the recipes. 
  • Use a spoon rest or folded up dampened paper towel on which to lay any utensils while you cook to prevent drips and spots.  
  • As you use something, put it either in the soapy water in the sink, or put larger items in the dishwasher.
  • When finished cooking and serving your meal, you can empty the sink and either place soaked items in the dishwasher or give them a quick scrub, rinse, and dry to put them away.  
  • Collect trash sack full of items and discard. 
  • Wipe down stove/oven, counters, let water out of sink and scour. 
You're done! 


No comments:

Post a Comment