Search

Powered by Blogger.

Networked Blogs

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Homemade All Purpose Seasoning


Sometimes I start to cook, and I'm trying to figure out exactly what seasonings to put in a dish or to use for grilling, broiling or baking.  I finally discovered that I could make an all-purpose seasoning using the spices I like, make it in a batch, and have it at the ready. 

I found myself using the same basic ingredients, so I started with those four and then I created a second all-purpose seasoning that included additional spices we like.  You can make several different versions of this.  The basic all-purpose seasoning is great just as it is.  However, if you want something more in your spice mix, you can add Italian spices for a more Mediterranean flavor or add chili powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, and cilantro for a more Tex-Mex flavored seasoning. 

Basic All-Purpose Seasoning:
2 Tablespoons salt (may be cut significantly for a lower sodium version)
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
2 Tablespoons onion powder
2 Tablespoons ground black pepper

Mix and store in clean shaker container.  

For specialized all- purpose seasoning mix you will need:
1 batch of basic all-purpose seasoning mix (see above)
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon oregano
1 Tablespoon basil
1 Tablespoon Cilantro
1 Tablespoon Cumin

You may use thyme, rosemary, cinnamon, nutmeg, marjoram, red pepper, chili powder, or any other spice as a substitute for those listed in the specialized seasoning mix.  Adjust to your taste. 

Mix and store in clean container. 

I use these seasonings mostly for grilling or broiling, but I also use them in soups and sauces.  I use the dry specialized seasoning as a dry rub for grilling.  You can turn it into a marinade by mixing it with oil and vinegar.  

Both seasoning mixes are great sprinkled on pan-fried hamburger patties, in the batter for fried chicken, and added to soups to kick things up a notch.  I make homemade fried popcorn chicken, and I mix some of the specialized all-purpose seasoning in with my flour to make it extra spicy. 

By having your favorite spices premixed, you can have them at the ready and use them while cooking without having to decide which spices you'd like to try while in the middle of cooking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment